Friday, February 09, 2007

Mira Nair to direct Shantram?

From IMDB news:

Johnny Depp has head-hunted Vanity Fair filmmaker Mira Nair to direct his new film. Shantaram will star Depp in the lead role, and will be co-produced by Depp's Infinitum Nihil and Brad Pitt's production company Plan B, who bought the rights to the Gregory David Roberts-penned book for $2 million. Indian-born Nair, who directed Monsoon Wedding in 2001, admits she is a big fan of the book and is looking forward to the challenge of working behind the camera with Depp. She says, "I just got the offer a few days back but I will start with it soon. It is a book that completely gripped me as it did millions of others. Johnny Depp is such an extraordinary human being and an extraordinary actor. He embodies so much what Shantaram is and so when he asked me to direct him it was obviously a great honor and challenge for me." Shantaram will be based on the life story of Gregory David Roberts, who escaped from an Australian prison and fled to Mumbai, India, where he became involved with the city's powerful mafia dons.

3 comments:

Eddiesmoments said...

I have not seen Vanity fair or any of her stuff so i don´t know how to comment. I supposed it is a fresh touch to have HD directed by a woman....

Unknown said...

With all due respect I'm reading the book at the moment and I think Russel Crow is the man to play the part, no offense Mr. Depp I love you and I have watched many of your movies but you have this "era look" and you don't exactly fit into the description depicted in the book on p.160 the scene of the fire when Shantaram first moves into the slum Radha's thoughts as imagined by Shantaram "Look at the big strong foreigner, saving himself, and running away from the fire, while our men run towards it...", you neither have the Australian look. The stark difference between the westerner Shantaram and India and its withered but savant people. I think Mira Nair should definetly direct it, one of my all time favorite directors and knowing India I can't think of anyone better for the part of the director, for the success of the movie I think you should be a producer in this movie or you may make the sacrifice of playing the part of Didier, one of Karla's circle of friends. By the time this movie hits the silver screen I hope to finish the book and I wish you'd make a terrific job out of it so that I will not be disappointed.

Unknown said...

After two years of overtime work, finally I have time to go to the movies and I was surfing the internet about when Shantaram The Movie will hit the theatres and read that it was "shelved". Such a pity. I only hope it's due to the global financial crisis.